Wednesday 15 February 2012

52 Projects - Week Three - Framed Recipe Card

This project is appropriate for the week three project because that’s how long it took – three weeks. I learned a lot about glue with this project, specifically what does and doesn’t work.

Anyway, here is the finished project: 

My framed recipe card - finally finished!


A close-up view

Making this frame definitely tested my patience – this was not an easy project, although it should have been.

The frames themselves are simple Ikea Ribba shadow box frames. I attached some faux leather to the back, to blend in with the frame and allow the recipes and fork to stand out. (I just used spray adhesive to put the leather on – like I did for these frames)

For the first try, I used glue dots for the recipes and the fork. The recipes stayed attached just fine, but the fork had fallen down by the next morning.

Fail with the glue dots.

My next attempt was to use my glue gun on the fork – hot glue works on everything, right?

Wrong. The next morning, the fork had fallen down.

Fail with the glue gun.

By this time, I was frustrated slightly annoyed that this wasn’t the easy project I thought it would be. Heavy duty help was needed so that fork wouldn’t go anywhere.

Enter Gorilla Glue.  

And if this didn’t work, this project was done – I’d pretend it didn’t happen and I’d move on.

Gorilla glue didn't let me down. Or the fork. Three cheers for gorilla glue! J
  

So, why did I frame two recipes and a fork? Seriously? A fork.

There is a piece of each of my grandmothers in this frame. The recipes are handwritten by my maternal grandmother, and I remember her pulling these out of her recipe box and making them, again and again.
  



The writing is hard to see, but the recipes are for Arrowroot Squares (an unbaked dessert made with – you guessed it – arrowroot cookies). The second is for Jam Thimbles, which are her version of jam thumbprint cookies.

I spent a few of my childhood summers with my grandparents, while my Mom went to University (what a role model!) so I remember these recipes, and many others, well. I learned how to cook and bake by watching her, and being allowed to help out and try on my own. Wonderful memories were made those summer days.

And, the silver fork was my paternal grandmothers – she used it as a child, my Dad used it, and so did I. There’s a spoon that matches it somewhere in the house, so hopefully I’ll find it as I clean and organize things.
Displaying these in the kitchen makes me smile – they are pieces of my history and both of these women helped shape who I am.


Cheers! Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment