In case you haven't noticed, most things I do are completed in stages. Life is a bit hectic around here, so it's rare that I get the chance to go from start to finish all at once.
I wouldn't have my life any other way :)
So, on Saturday, I began part two of the planter project - taking the plant out. I thought it would be an easy process - I mean, how hard could it be?
Famous last words.
It's a great planter - nice and shiny and a good size for whatever will end up inside.
What I didn't anticipate was the hard foam that was holding the fake plastic plant - that stuff was tough. I started by sliding a knife around the entire inside of the planter (just like taking a cake out of the pan - if only it was that easy) and then tried to pry the foam out.
Big mistake - my knife wasn't strong enough and it snapped off at the handle. So now we're down one steak knife - oops.
Back into the kitchen I went to get another knife - a bigger one. I ended cutting chunks of that foam out, bit by bit. It reminded me of the spray foam insulation you put around windows and doors, to keep the drafts out.
It took a lot longer than I thought, and made a much bigger mess than I thought. At least I was smart enough to start this project outside.
The foam finally gave up and I was left with this:
A big bag of plant stuff for the garbage and a nice planter that needs some scraping or finishing inside.
Which I'll do as soon as I figure out what to do with it - since it doesn't have a home yet, I don't feel bad about not finishing it up right away.
Procrastination at its finest - I'm good at that.